Making a Difference in Our Community
Helping our members at UK Federal Credit Union improve their financial lives is our passion, but it’s also important that we do our part to improve the community around us. It’s the core of the credit union difference—people helping people. We want our community to experience and benefit from this philosophy firsthand. At UK Federal Credit Union we have been part of the Bluegrass State for 80 years strong and continue to grow with deep roots in our community through financial education, employee volunteer efforts and our partnerships with local charities.
- Financial Literacy – Financial education is a key aspect of our core values since 1937. We have made it a priority to create tangible initiatives that help our members and the community financially strong. At UK Federal Credit Union, we believe achieving financial well-being requires a solid plan and a financial partner committed to your goals. We provide financial education programs to local elementary, middle and high school students. Our qualified representatives introduce these scholastic tools to the students which enable them to learn basic money management skills and responsibility. We also schedule Financial Literacy Workshops on UK’s Campus and with our Select Employee Groups. Seminars on financial literacy are provided once a month and are listed on our website under education. Additionally, UKFCU provides financial literacy resources on our website for all ages to learn money management skills.
- Presidential Scholarships – We are dedicated to encouraging higher education. Every year we give away numerous Presidential Scholarships. Presidential Scholarships are awarded to several students at the following universities: University of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky University and Kentucky Community Technical College System.
- University of Kentucky Outreach -- UKFCU partners with University of Kentucky to ensure their philanthropic efforts are a success. We support several endeavors, including Dance Blue, Kentucky Children’s Hospital and UK Markey Cancer Center for Breast Cancer, and more. *Review our efforts
- Community Outreach – We also sponsor events and activities important to our select employee groups, employees, members and sponsor organizations with the communities in the central Kentucky area. Several events and philanthropic efforts we support include: Lyric Theatre, Women Leading Kentucky, Central Kentucky Go Red for Women- American Heart Association, and American Cancer Society-Relay for Life of Fayette County just to name a few.
- Special Charitable Promotions – Every year we run special promotions for our members. Several of these promotions will enable them to give a charitable donation to a charity just by refinancing an auto loan, opening a new account, or referring a new member. Below are a few of our latest Special Charitable Promotions:
Drive for the Cure- October is breast cancer awareness month. During the month of October, when a member refinanced an auto loan, they received 1% cash back, and UKFCU donated $25 (in the member’s name) to breast cancer research with UK Markey Cancer Center.
Together Lending a Helping Hand- In recognition of our 80th year serving our community -- we teamed up with the Bluegrass Chapter of the American Red Cross, who has been providing disaster relief in our community for over 100 years. Together we celebrated these milestones by offering a 1% Cash Back Auto Loan Refinance promotion. Our members received 1% cash back when refinancing their auto loan, and we donated $25 to the Bluegrass Chapter of the American Red Cross in their honor.
Help a Child Reach for the Stars! - During the 2016 Holiday Season, UKFCU partnered with the International Book Project, a nonprofit organization located in Lexington, KY who collect and distribute children’s books locally and to over 60 countries. Thanks to the compassion of our members and staff, we collected 1,550 books, distributed to the less fortunate locally and internationally.
Working together, we can make a difference for our members, their families and our community. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you. Here’s to another 80 successful years serving our community!